Parish History

In 1876, pioneer men and women from Southern Illinois developed a town which was named St. Libory in honor of history-02their patron saint from the Diocese of Paderborn, Westphalen, Germany. Some of the founding families included:

  • Joseph Gruntmier
  • Henry Cordes
  • William (Bill) Buddecke
  • John Dingwerth
  • Conrad Evers
  • Joseph Strehle

These pioneer families purchased ten acres of land from Union Pacific Railroad. The money was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Arends. The first church was started in 1878; however, there would be a proposal for raising funds to establish a new church in 1952. The first substantial pledges which helped make the building fund a success were offered by Frank Assendrop, Gerhard Wissing and August Ziller.

The new church was blessed and dedicated by Bishop Paschang on May 31, IMG_87841954 and the rectory was also blessed and dedicated in September, 1960. St. Libory Catholic Church has provided two of its own members to the priesthood:

  • Fr. Robert O’Neill
  • Fr. James Janovec
  • 15 women as Sisters

St. Libory’s Cemetery is next to the parish church. Plots and photos are available courtesy of Find a Grave website: St. Libory’s Cemetery